Could you elaborate more on the planning and creation phase of the intranet?
It differs from organization to organization. The majority of organizations will contribute noticeable resources in the planning and implementing the intranet. For them, the strategic value is same as their client projects which determine their success. They hire a specialized department fully devoted tothe development and maintenance of the intranet. The hired staff makes sure that legal, technical or any other type of constraints does not obstructin the implementation and maintenance process.Usually, bigger organizations with ample resources choose this process. Small organizations can hire outside professional IT resources for handling intranet creation and implementation. I will personally recommend this as it is more beneficial.
You mentioned about the intranet’s dismissal by the critics, why you think it is important?
I have mentioned about the initial response thatintranet received. Yes, it was not received by the critics favorably, but again any technologically innovation or advancement seems to be too complicated at a first glance. People considered it to be whimsy technological buzzwords. After when organizations realized its importance, it became an imperative tool.
Could you enlist some ways which can lead to an intranet failure?
Yes. There are a few points that need to be kept in mind while installing a new intranet or managing the old one. There are a few ways that accelerate an intranet’s failure. You need to avoid these for a smooth intranet experience.
- Making it too verbose and adding multiple layers of documentation intranet can suffer an early deflation. Always remember to add graphics, photographs, videos and similar elements of visual interest.
- Using a template configuration is a better idea than using turnkey solution which creates an uncoordinated user experience. Turnkey is highly overrated when comes to piecing together modules and widgets
- Avoid an in-house built. It is always recommended to take the help of a professional service for a smooth intranet experience. It is never a good idea to overburden your IT resources with in-house projects when they should be prioritizing clients.
- Having a casual attitude, thinking that it is just a show-off ruckus obstructing your creativity. All the employees in the organization should take an initiative to learn and operate internal messaging software provided by the intranet. At the same time not involving higher management can lead to problems. Never think that they are too busy to use it, or they should not be too familiar with low-level matters.
- Not updating your intranet can lead to its failure. Keeping up to date information is one way of doing justice to the intranet
- Avoid using redundant and outdated tools such as old file sharing tool.
- Not being able to excite people enough for taking part in the discussions, collaborations, and fun activities is a major fail for the intranet. Bring it up in the meetings and educate people about it more and more so that all the employees get engaged in the intranet activities enthusiastically.